Since my "second job" seems to be computer support, I thought I'd put some tips, tricks and "raspberries" up here for everyone's enjoyment. ...along with plenty of other commentary on music, life, Macs, etc.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

What the world needs now...

I tried booting my PowerBook G4 today, and I was greeted with a nice blinking globe icon. I had never seen this before, but it turned out to be similar to the blinking folder with a question mark I'd seen on earlier Macs. The cause: the computer was confused as to where its operating system and/or NetBoot server was located. Kinda made sense, as I'd just told it to boot from an external drive with my most-recent backup on it. Well, apparently, it didn't like that backup (good to know, in case of emergency!).

So, I followed the instructions at Apple's support site, and ran the Disk Utility to repair my startup disk. It didn't really find anything wrong with it, which is good. I restarted the Mac, and saw the blinking globe once more...then, the blinking folder with a question mark...then, the grey Apple OS X boot screen. Whew! Glad to know things like this are easily fixed.

Now, it's time for another backup (that works, this time)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home