Since my "second job" seems to be computer support, I thought I'd put some tips, tricks and "raspberries" up here for everyone's enjoyment. ...along with plenty of other commentary on music, life, Macs, etc.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Java segmentation fault after OS X 10.4.5 update

Anyone else having this problem? I use the Java VM to run programs for work every day. A few days ago, I installed the OS X 10.4.5 update, and now Java crashes each time I try to start it:
Computer:~/ username$ java -version
Segmentation fault

This looks suspiciously like the problem seen here in 10.3.9 after the update was applied.

I've tried rebuilding the Java cache using:
java -Xdump

per the instructions from the 10.3.9 link above, but I still get a segmentation fault when running this. Strange thing is that this only occurs on Java 1.4.2 (which is the release I have to use).

I can run 1.5.0 and 1.3.1 just fine, from their respective directories:
Computer:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3/Commands username$ ./java -version
java version "1.3.1_16"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.3.1_16-root_1.3.1_050718-17:36)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.3.1_09-82, mixed mode)

Computer:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Commands username$ ./java -version
java version "1.5.0_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-83)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_05-48, mixed mode, sharing)


Java 1.4.2 just crashes:
Computer:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4/Commands username$ ./java -version
Segmentation fault

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home